• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Physical DVD/BD & AS+ DL Inventory / Catalog Software Suggestions

lajoes

I have a massive project that I'd like to [re]start: I have an insanely huge inventory of physical media that needs to be cataloged and a growing collection of HDD's that have AS+ DLs that need inventorying so I don't was time DL'ing duplicates.

I started this project using CALC in Libere Office, which is kinda working, but it is just too much work to keep it up-to-date. (I am using this software because I can format the text in each cell easier than EXCEL).

For the physical media, I would like to know if there is a program out there that will let me scan the UPC in and it DLs the information.

Also, it would be nice if this software could read the directory of each HDD and it would nice if it could add it to the physical media list. If not, then I'd have to maintain two lists. I do not have PLEX or any media servers (yet) to catalog my AS+ DLs or ripped discs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The attached file is currently how I'm doing it with my physical discs

Attachments

• Catalog - current manual system - Screenshot 2024-02-05 162155.jpg
    Catalog - current manual system - Screenshot 2024-02-05 162155.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 10
I have a massive project that I'd like to [re]start: I have an insanely huge inventory of physical media that needs to be cataloged and a growing collection of HDD's that have AS+ DLs that need inventorying so I don't was time DL'ing duplicates.

I started this project using CALC in Libere Office, which is kinda working, but it is just too much work to keep it up-to-date. (I am using this software because I can format the text in each cell easier than EXCEL).

For the physical media, I would like to know if there is a program out there that will let me scan the UPC in and it DLs the information.

Also, it would be nice if this software could read the directory of each HDD and it would nice if it could add it to the physical media list. If not, then I'd have to maintain two lists. I do not have PLEX or any media servers (yet) to catalog my AS+ DLs or ripped discs.

The attached file is currently how I'm doing it with my physical discs
You could try to create an Excel spreadsheet, but I haven't tried to do something like what you've done.

CALC, is part of Libre Office (open source), and it is a spreadsheet program

I ended up using CALC because not everyone could afford MS Office. This made sharing my catalog easier.

I ended up using CALC because not everyone could afford MS Office. This made sharing my catalog easier.
The only 2 reasons that I still keep on using MS Office is 1) I get an Alumni discount from the college that I attended, and 2) I've gotten used to its weird quirks and whatnot.

The attached file is currently how I'm doing it with my physi
My Movies is better at logging physical disks but you may be able to use for the downloads. I have never tried that.

EMDB, I have kept my physical and digital collection it in for years now. Stable, lots of features and customizable. I tried many things before it.

Code:
emdb.eu

DQ, I just got info overload looking online, but EMDB keeps popping up and seems to have been around a while. So, I'll check it out.

Also, off hand, do you know if it'll still function off - line for just looking over the DB (that is, is it stored on my PC) or do I always need to check in with their server?

Alaskauser, I've used My Movies in the past, but only for the physical media that gave me a digital download.

My Movies is great … you can use the ‘Digital’ category when you log an item in your collection (currently I only use it for physical media ‘Owned, for Keeps’):

1707524516378.png

Super quick and easy to scan your media from barcodes. For digital you would have to manually search for the title in the app (there is a separate search for Movies vs. TV Shows which is nice). They have a free trial so you can see if you like it before committing. You can also create your own categories if you don’t want to use ‘Digital’ for AS.

BONUS: you can also share your collection with friends that also uses the app and search their collection, etc. … very handy.

For cataloging my DVD/BD collection I use two similar apps: Ant Movie Catalog and EMDB (Eric's Movie Database).

Code:
Ant Movie Catalog: http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog
Eric's Movie Database: https://www.emdb.eu/

Both have features to document digital files though I haven't used those features.

Both can download content information from an entered title. Cataloging TV shows is cumbersome with AMC IMO. EMDB is much better at that. The two are about the same with movies. Both have the ability to makes HTML lists. I prefer the EMDB export feature over AMC.

I originally used AMC for years, until someone suggested EMDB.

Changing over to a new app to catalog is a PITA and time consuming. Once you've got the bulk of your collection stored keeping it up to date as you get new content is much easier.

I never heard of EMDB, so thanks for mentioning that one. I’ll have to check it out (looks promising). I do hate paying for the occasional upgrades with My Movies to keep it going, but I’ve been a user since almost the beginning of that app.

I have a huge CD collection - was going to use the Discogs app to catalog them all. Just curious what others use if anything? Discogs is nice, but it kinda slows me down with how it works and wondering if there’s a better alternative? Thanks.

Audio CDs? I don't know if EMDB will catalog audio CDs without a lot of pushing, shoving, cursing, 55 gallons of personal lube, 150 feet of rubber tubing and a Yak.

Doing a 'net search for "audio cd catalog" brought up a link that has several free music cataloging software options. #1 is an app I already use to catalog data files on DVDs, Visual CD.

Code:
Catalog software list: https://www.lifewire.com/free-music-catalog-software-2438480

Visual CD, author's site: http://www.boozet.org/

Visual CD is quite old, but once you get used to its eccentricities it is quite useful.

My usage is to catalog every download I've made since around 2002 I have saved to CDs and DVDs. I can search for when I made my purchase of SlySoft's AnyDVD. The HTML receipt I have saved is dated to: 12/28/2008. The actual purchase might not be on the 28th, but that date is when I saved the receipt.

I have never seriously considered My Movies because it is a pay app. There are many free ones that do what the pay apps do, or are similar enough, available on the internet. :Þ

Last edited:
My EMDB main default database currently has 982 "movies". That isn't the number of actual DVDs/BDs, that is the number of separate titles I have entered. A TV show is only a single entry in the database, but the number of discs is more, naturally. and some movies are more than 1 disc.

I also have secondary separate databases for: 1. TV shows, 2. Movies, 3. Documentaries and 4. Cartoons (movies and TV series) that get merged into my main default database.

I may have to start a new secondary DB for all of my AnyStream content, though it probably won't be merged into the default DB. The DBs I have set up now are strictly for DVD/BD content I have purchased.

While I still catalog my DVD/BD collection purchases in AMC and EMDB, if I was to do the cataloging over again I would use just EMDB. Cataloging movies with AMC is easy, but TV shows isn't really doable other than just the series titles. EMDB can catalog individual episodes as well as the main series. That is certainly a plus IMO for EMDB.

EMDB can export your DBs to an HTML file, with a free extra layout your collection is visually well laid out and easily searchable in the generated HTML page.

do you know if it'll still function off - line for just looking over the DB (that is, is it stored on my PC) or do I always need to check in with their server?
Your EMDB catalog DBs are stored locally on your HD so you do not need to be 'net connected for viewing, updating and maintaining the DBs. The location is customizable. I have two drives installed on my PCs, the boot drive (SSD, C:\) and a data drive (D:\).

By default the database(s) are stored in the roaming section of AppData (C drive), but I changed that location to my D drive.

Yes, I said databases. 😉

Why did I move the location of the DBs? The on-disc size of my current 5 EMDB DBs is over 1.7GB. I haven't even begun to catalog my AnyStream acquisitions yet.

EMDB cataloger.png

Last edited:
Doing a 'net search for "audio cd catalog" brought up a link that has several free music cataloging software options. #1 is an app I already use to catalog data files on DVDs, Visual CD.
Thanks - really looking just for plain ol’ CDs that I buy to catalog in some app (like Discogs). Maybe that’s the best option. For music downloads I really just rely on iTunes and Plex to look up what I have which is good enough for my use case. iTunes and Plex just can’t tell me what physical copy I actually have.

EMDB looks nice, I just wish it had a cloud-based app like My Movies (so I can always look up things on my phone or iPad when I’m out and about). I guess it all comes down to how technical people are 🙃

If you are cataloging plain ol' data type discs you should look at Visual CD then.

Cataloging AS downloads in EMDB is quite easy. Movies, TV series and misc. videos. Here's my EMDB catalog of my AS downloads.

FYI, each entry in the database is classified as a"movie" even if it is a TV series.

anystream EMDB catalog.jpg

For movies and TV series you can type the title in the Movie Details tab and use EMDB's internet search feature with TMDB or IMDB to get the info on the item.

FYI, if you use EMDB to store info about your disc based collection use this method as well.

EMDB movie details.jpg

For movies and TV series you've downloaded and added the basic details in your database EMDB can use MediaInfo to fill in the particulars of the movie or TV series. You first have to let EMDB know the location of the file(s). You can either use a "stub" version you download from the options, the MediaInfo "tab", or locate where you installed a newer version of MediaInfo.

EMDB detail info.jpg

The search feature is very useful with TV series, it fills in the episode info from TheTVDB site.

EMDB episode info.jpg

EMDB can find the media files for the TV series and bulk add the location of the files. I store my TV series episode media files in season separate folders with the season folders in folder with the series title.

When EMDB knows the locations of your catalog media files you can from the "main page" of the catalog launch your default media player to watch your AS content. TV series pops up the episode dialog so you can select which episode you want to view.

Adding misc. videos such as from youtube you can drag and drop the video file onto the database bookshelf and EMDB will manually add it to the catalog.

EMDB youtube.jpg

If the content can be found on TMDB or EMDB, you are "golden" for filling out the details of the content. If the content isn't available on either DB site you can still manually add into such as a cover.

Back